This qualification will enable you to gain familiarity with the layout, content, and application of BS 7671:2018 - 18th Edition Regulations.
Who is it suitable for?
This course is aimed at persons over the age of 16 involved in the electrical industry and wishing to update their knowledge from the 17th Edition to the new 18th Edition Wiring Regulations or needing to be up-to date with the industry regulations.
What is involved?
This three-day training course will enable those with responsibility for the design, installation or maintenance of electrical systems to understand the full application of 18th Edition BS7671. There have been some significant changes and the course will update you on the very latest industry regulations. These include: Introduction of Arc Fault Detection Devices, Selectivity and Partial Selectivity, new Chapters 46 & 63, Changes to special locations including construction sites and Caravan Parks and Appendix 17 Energy Efficiency.
What the course covers
- Scope, objective and fundamental principles
- Assessment of General Characteristics
- Protection for Safety
- Selection & erection of equipment
- Inspection & Testing
- Requirements for special installations or Locations
- New Section 730
- Appendices including Appendix 17
The qualifications you will achieve
Upon successful completion of this course individuals will be conversant with the format, content and the application of the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Regulations.
You will be able to:
- Locate specific Regulations and use the Regulations Index
- State the relationship between the Appendices and Regulations
- State the purpose and objective of the Regulations including the hazards they prevent
- Evaluate the legal status of the regulations
- Identify the fundamental requirements for safety
- Define the main factors to consider when designing and erecting an installation
- List the earthing arrangements
- Discuss methods of protection from shock arising from direct and indirect contact
- Distinguish between main and supplementary bonding
- Calculate earth fault loop impedance
- Select over current protection devices for particular installations
- Select the appropriate switchgear for a given installation, including special locations
- Calculate the size of cables in relation to their current carrying capacity and voltage drop
- Explain why inspection of the installation is undertaken
- State the items, which need to be inspected
- List the background information required before carrying out an inspection
- State why testing of an installation is undertaken
- Understand the requirements of energy efficiency
Exams and Assessments
This course is entirely theory based, providing knowledge and understanding of all eight parts of the latest version of the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations BS7671:2018. It is assessed through a C&G online multiple-choice exam (open book). While dealing with each individual area of the wiring regulations, you will be assessed on your knowledge in preparation for the final exam.
Hands on training for success
All our course trainers have decades of teaching experience and both courses are assessed by a range of methods including online multiple-choice exams, practical assessments and written assignments.
You’ll learn from a range of training methods in our computer-equipped classroom. All courses include the relevant hand-outs to support your learning.
Course Equipment Requirements
- IET 18th Edition Wiring Regulations 2018:BS7671
- Scientific calculator
- Course notes will be supplied